ISDC – International Security and Development Center is a non-profit academic institute based in Berlin, Germany. We conduct research to improve lives and livelihoods shaped by violent conflict, fragility and humanitarian emergencies. We believe in the power of data and evidence for understanding and alleviating suffering around the world. While based in Berlin’s central Mitte district, the global relevance of our work leads us to engage in research projects around the world. We are a young institute that is growing steadily. We are an international, multicultural team and our working language is English.
The Behaviour Research Programme at ISDC is seeking a
in economics, political science or another quantitative social science
(on a full-time or part-time basis)
to work on research projects analysing human behaviour and policy interventions in conflict-affected crisis settings.
- Co-designing experimental and quasi-experimental research designs,
- Matching and analyzing quantitative micro-level data,
- Presenting original research at conferences and seminars,
- Publishing research in leading academic journals,
- Developing new project proposals for fundraising,
- Contributing to project implementation and management.
Required experience and skills:
- A completed PhD in any relevant discipline in the social sciences (candidates nearing completion of their doctoral dissertation may also be considered),
- An excellent academic record,
- Ability to carry out independent quantitative research,
- Excellent skills in statistical / econometric analysis in R, Stata, or similar software,
- A strong interest in development economics and policy,
- Being proactive and reliable,
- Excellent English writing and communication skills,
- Additional language proficiency would be an advantage (especially in Arabic, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, or Spanish).
- A two-year contract (extendable), starting immediately or at a date to be agreed,
- Cutting edge academic and policy-relevant research,
- An interdisciplinary and international academic environment,
- Support for developing your research profile and career, as part of a strong team,
- An attractive workplace in the Berlin area with very flexible work practices, including possibility of remote working on a hybrid basis.
We work on very serious issues like war and poverty and we love science. At the same time, we are an international, cheerful and motivated team. We work very collaboratively and enjoy our work. Further information on ISDC can be obtained from www.isdc.org.
Please send your application including a cover letter, detailed CV and existing letters of reference as a single PDF-file by email to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 15 February 2022; yet, applications will be considered on an ongoing basis and the position may be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is selected.