ISDC – International Security and Development Center is a non-profit academic institute based in Berlin, Germany. We conduct research to improve lives and livelihoods shaped by violent conflict, fragility and humanitarian emergencies.
In a new BMBF-funded collaborative research project, LifewithCorona-Africa (LwC-Africa), we aim to generate new evidence and policy guidelines on how African citizens respond to and cope with the profound global shock to their lives and livelihoods caused by Covid-19. The goal is to advance understanding of how the pandemic is affecting food, health, work, gender and social cohesion outcomes in order to better prepare communities and governments to respond to the challenges ahead as the pandemic spreads across the continent. Building on the global Life with Corona online survey (LwC), the LwC-Africa project will collect and analyse four quarterly repeated cross-sectional phone-based surveys over twelve months in five African countries.
To coordinate the research and study design, data collection, analysis, management and outreach of LwC-Africa, we are looking for a
in development and/or agricultural economics
with a focus on longitudinal data collection and analysis
(Salary and benefits are in line with public service regulations in Germany, based on E13 TV-L)
The successful candidate will:
- coordinate on the research and study design, data collection and analysis of phone survey data in 5 African countries and the corresponding management and outreach of LwC-Africa
- contribute to conceptual framework and data analysis of micro-level phone survey data of the LwC-Africa project
- present research findings at conferences and research seminars
- lead on uptake of the research outputs, outreach and management of LwC-Africa
- publish project results in leading journals in agricultural and development economics and in general-interest (multi-disciplinary) journals
- interact with our academic and policy-oriented partners and collaborators
- A completed PhD in development or agricultural economics or related field
- An excellent academic record
- Experience in designing, collecting and analysing panel (phone) data in low income countries, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience in international economic development, in particular at the micro level
- Experience working on food and nutritional security
- Experience in working with panel data
- Excellent quantitative skills in advanced micro-econometric software like Stata and/or R
- An interest in horticultural production systems and processes
- Excellent English communication skills
- Some knowledge of German would be an advantage
- Additional language proficiency (especially French or other languages spoken in Africa) would be an advantage.
Employment for this position will be for 15 months, starting 1 October 2020.
- A demanding job in an interdisciplinary research environment
- Support for developing your research profile
- An attractive workplace in the Berlin area
- Flexible work practices in line with current health and safety regulations
Interested candidates should send an informative CV, a detailed cover letter, copies of academic certificates, and the names of two academic referees. The selection process will start immediately until the position is filled.
Contact: Myroslava Purska (email@example.com).
Please send your complete application by email in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org.